Homeless In DC

So here is something crazy.

As of today, we are officially homeless. Yep, you read that right. My husband, my two small children, and I at this point in time do not have a home.

What I mean by this is that our lovely little house in the heart of the city sold today. It is no longer ours.

Today is the first time in 15 years that I have not owned a house, and for a couple of those years, I owned two.

I have to be honest, it is a bit of a surreal feeling.

Somehow, even though we accepted the offer 6 weeks ago, it wasn't until we actually signed the papers and handed over the keys today that it all felt real.

In fact, in that single transaction, we handed off a whole weight that I hadn't even realized was there. And on top of that, the money wire into our account means I suddenly feel incredibly flush.

I know, I know, it is already earmarked for the down payment on our next house.

But it is still more than a *little* tempting to drop by Tiffany, Cartier and Louis Vuitton and see just how long I could go before shopping lost its appeal :-)

For some reason, I think I could hang for quite a while...

Our next house purchase is a big change in lifestyle. It's a much larger house in a little more rural of an area.

This is the house that we will raise our family in, and that shift in mindset completely changed the buying process.

Up until now, we focused more on things such as proximity to dining, shopping, and the metro, and less on features such as number of bedrooms and flat places in the yard to put a swing set.

It's amazing how adding two little bodies to your household completely changes the decision-making process.

I know, I know, no shit. EVERYONE knows that having kids changes your life. But it is one thing to know it and a whole different thing to really KNOW it.

Because it isn't that we don't still like nice restaurants or going into the city for fun events (or Louis Vuitton purses).

Nope, still definitely a fan of those.

It is more that I want my kids to have room to run and play without worrying about traffic. I want them to have woods to explore, and a spot to build a tree house, and streams to get muddy in.

I want these things MORE than I want to be able to hop on the metro and run into the city any time the mood hits me.

Although I still kind of want that too if I am totally honest. Which is why we aren't abandoning the DC metro entirely.

The new house we are looking at is a little oasis in the city.

Can't wait for all the pieces to fall into place :-)

Because I'm pretty certain the other hotel guests aren't terribly charmed by Bennett's early morning vocal stylings...


No comments:

Post a Comment