What Is Your Legacy?

I absolutely love my friends. Like "don't know how I would get through the day without them" love my friends.

And we regularly have pretty in-depth discussions about almost everything. So when we got talking the other day, it was kind of crazy to realize that we were all either in the process of losing, or had recently lost, a grandparent.

And this got us talking about the legacy that our grandparents left.

Last year, I was lucky enough to go the memorial service for a man I never met, but who had one of the most beautiful ceremonies I've ever seen.

We were given a copy of his obituary when we walked in, and looking through the list, his accomplishments were impressive. But what made the ceremony so beautiful was not the things he had done, but the people who he'd loved and who had loved him.

Person after person stood up and shared the most incredibly touching, poignant memories of the good times with him. He was loved by friends and family alike, and even his ex wife had a wonderfully touching story to share.

By the end of the ceremony, I felt as if I had known him, and genuinely wished that I had actually met him in person.

What I realized from this is that life isn't about what you accomplish. It is about who you love and let love you. The things and people that you truly pour your heart into are the legacy that lives on long after you are gone, so you sure as hell better do everything possible to share as much love as possible.

Because otherwise, what is your legacy? What brings you joy on the days you are here, and lives on to carry your memory forth once you are gone.

You are the one who decides what to do with your life so invest it wisely. Be someone who brings others joy and love, and your life will be that much more incredible because of it.

Hug and kiss your loved ones as much as possible, be brave enough to say "I love you" often and mean it, and be truly genuine and present in your relationships.

Because you never know when your last moment is upon you, but you sure as hell can wring as much love and happiness out of the moments you are given as possible.

I love you grandpa, when you pass the world will lose a great, great man.

No comments:

Post a Comment