The World Is Her Jungle Gym... And Oyster

The other day I was talking with a really good friend of mine. She has a daughter that's about six months older than Sterling, and we spend a lot of time playing together. L confided in me that she's frequently terrified by the things that Sterling climbs.

We were laughing about the fact that often, she will watch Sterling climb something with her heart her throat while I am completely unconcerned.

What I realized is that over the last 22 months, Sterling has slowly but surely eroded my normal sense of fear. Things that used to absolutely terrify me no longer even make me blink.

In fact, I have to confide something. I am secretly fascinated by watching her climb things that aren't meant to be climbed.

Every time I watch her pull herself up on to something that I thought was completely out of her reach, I am blown away by her daring willingness to try anything and it leaves me a bit in awe.

Although it makes it somewhat exhausting to be her mother, I hope she never loses that approach to life. The willingness to try anything, take on any challenge no matter how unfeasible, to set her mind to a goal and continue to work at it until she finds an approach to get her where she wants to be.

That depth of sheer determination is a bit intimidating, but it is also beautiful and I cannot help but admire the focus and drive she has already... at 22 months of age.

No comments:

Post a Comment