The Real World... Hickman Style

Tonight is the last night before we move into our new house.

If you have been following my blog, you might already know that we move into our new house on the exact six-month anniversary of the day we moved in with my parents.

If you are new to my blog, lemme explain. We moved in originally expecting it to last a month or two, but our old house sold in 2 weeks and then it took us MUCH longer than we expected to find the right new house. Yep, 6 months.

It was a wait well worth it though, the new house is amazing.

And it will be wonderful to get back to all of the play dates and birthday parties and brunches with our friends that we have been missing out on.

But the impending change is definitely making all of us a little introspective.

The last 6 months have been interesting. It has challenged us, it has helped us grow and evolve our relationships, and it has given my kids a special opportunity to get to know their grandparents in a way that many kids don't ever get an opportunity to.

And oddly, we still all really like one another. I won't pretend it's been perfect, but we have done a good job of being honest and respectful of each other.

I think that when we move, it's going to be a big change for everyone.

I have been amazed at my parents' gracious willingness to let us invade their space. I cannot say that if given a similar opportunity, I would be as accommodating.

Living here has given me an opportunity to catch my breath again after Bennett's severe acid reflux, it enabled me to be close in my grandfather's final days, and it has given my kids some invaluable time with their grandparents.

I look back and it was actually an incredibly lucky stroke that landed us here.

We moved in at a time when I was so run down that I was hardly functioning, yet I didn't realize at the time how badly I needed the help. It gave me extra support when I needed it most. When John suddenly went to the ER and then had his gallbladder out, having my parents around enabled me to focus on him completely.

Although it will be wonderful to get our stuff out of storage and have our own space again, we will miss the crazy, hectic, wonderful times in Chesapeake City.

Seeing the waterways and horse farms around us as we run errands, sitting at the beach listening to the waves as we push the babies on the swings, and helping Pop pop with the doo doo every few days. Oh yeah, and the bottomless stash of donuts.

Yes, it's been a crazy 6 months but we have made a lot of wonderful memories and I know I am going to have some sad babies over the next few weeks :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment